The Book Apothecary is a travelling artist book museum where young people, emerging and established artists will work together to share skills in book binding, printmaking, sculpture, drawing, audio books and writing to showcase their work to spaces around the North East.
Young people will be involved in the project from the very start, from working with established makers through to delivering skill sharing sessions with other young people and youth groups. Young people will also have the chance to deliver their own micro projects at festivals and events around the region.
The project will be led by Yvette Hawkins, a book artist and sculptor alongside up to 4 other artists whose expertise encompass book making, printmaking, writing, audio and drawing.
- Establishing the ‘Book Art’ art form as a recognised form of making art within schools, community settings, libraries, the public and the visual arts.
- Passing on traditional skills (bookbinding, printmaking etc) to a younger audience and encouraging young people to share traditional skills.
- Provide opportunities for emerging and established artists to make new work, develop new ideas and learn new skills
- Bring together artists who work with books and form a framework for book artists to share ideas and projects with young people
- To deliver a project with the spirit of the Cultural Olympiad
- To connect with existing events and festivals within the North East.
- To contribute to the library experience and get people excited about books!
- Creating a clearly branded project to promote the project effectively where possible within schools, the community and by connecting with universities and colleges.
- Delivering intensive workshops with participants in the skills of bookbinding, writing, drawing and printmaking with skilled artists.
- Supporting participants to deliver skill sharing workshops with the community
- Bring together artists and participants in a supported environment that encourages debate and idea sharing.
- Setting up an online resource for participants to speak to each other, blog and share projects
- To stay motivated and professional at all times and encourage collaborations with participants and artists.
- To work with New Writing North to deliver a number of events at Durham Book Festival and Hexham Book Festival.
- To work with Gateshead Council Arts Team to deliver events at libraries and other artistic events
- To work closely with local libraries and the community to share ideas of connecting with books in new and innovative ways.